As a family caregiver hoping to provide your senior loved one with the very best care possible, you’ve probably found yourself looking into many different long-term care options, including home care.
For many seniors and family caregivers, home care is going to be just the right fit. Also called non-medical home care or in-home care, this type of support is all about empowering older adults to live independently in the comfort and safety of their own homes, while giving time back to family members who could use some much-needed respite.
Compared to other types of senior care, home care is affordable, flexible, and convenient – and it offers a number of remarkable, proven benefits to seniors and their families.
Looking for a long-term care solution that will really work for your elderly loved one? Here are five of the proven benefits of home care:
1.) Companionship and Company
For older adults, the health benefits of staying social can be truly enormous. Seniors who are able to maintain strong social bonds and connections over time display greater longevity, better overall health, higher rates of happiness and satisfaction, and so much more. Over time, however, it can become harder for seniors to stay connected and maintain their personal relationships, whether due to distance or health conditions. In-home care provided by an enthusiastic and caring companion can help in many different ways. Through home care services, a professional caregiver can:
- Be a trusted voice and friendly face in the senior’s life
- Share meals
- Play games
- Help the senior plan and go on outings
- Go for walks
- Provide rides to appointments and social events
- Connect seniors with friends and family, or others in their community
2.) Greater Independence
Many forms of elder care are restrictive. Moving an older adult into institutional care often means uprooting the senior’s life, upending their habits, and forcing them to change their favorite routines. Over time, this can have a negative impact on a senior’s health, happiness, and overall well-being.
In contrast, companionship and in-home care services are all about empowering seniors to live independently. Home care is not about changing the senior’s lifestyle, but instead helping to give them the support and assistance they need to better live the life they’ve always wanted, while staying safe and secure in the comfort of their own home.
Home care can help empower seniors and family caregivers to:
- Keep their preferred schedules
- Look for new opportunities and experiences to enjoy
- Maintain greater control over their homes
- Get rest and respite when necessary
- Create and maintain healthy habits
3.) Improved Health and Safety
While the majority of older adults say that they would prefer to age in place, the reality is that this can be a daunting idea for family caregivers. It can be hard for family members to keep up their own peace of mind, when they consistently fret over their senior loved one’s comfort and safety. There are certainly risks for seniors who choose to live independently, including falls and accidents.
Home care can provide helpful solutions, in many different ways. A professional caregiver can:
- Provide assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), to help seniors maintain mobility while minimizing risks of slips and falls
- Offer medication reminders
- Keep a watchful eye, and notify family of any difficulties or “yellow flags” as they come up
- Keep the senior’s living environment clean and safe
- Offer driving services
4.) Better Quality of Life
Home care is a great way to empower older adults to live life to the fullest, in order to truly enjoy their “golden years” with joy and enthusiasm. A survey from the American Society on Aging (ASA) found that, for seniors, staying at home as they age is just as much about the emotional value as anything else.
A prominent study from Europe also found that aging in place for seniors meant improved “accessibility to services and sites,” leading to “greater quality of life,” along with “lower loneliness and higher connection to place.”
Home care can help seniors maintain and improve their quality of life in countless different ways:
- More face-to-face time and greater social fulfillment
- Transportation services can help make appointments, community events, stores, and other services far more accessible
- Make it easier to see friends and family, compared to assisted living facilities
- Give the senior a social companion for mealtimes, outings, games, and more
5.) Cost Savings and Flexibility
Home care is typically far less expensive and far more convenient than more restrictive institutional care options. With home care, seniors and their families are able to enjoy numerous financial and personal benefits, including:
- No new unwieldy rent or mortgage payments
- No expensive application fees or security deposits
- None of the many surcharges and fees associated with institutional care (transportation, medical bills, food bills, etc.)
- It is typically easier to cover home care with many long-term care insurance policies
- Less laborious paperwork and a shorter application process
- Greater flexibility, with care available on schedule that works for seniors and family – as much as full-time, or as little as a few hours a week
- Personalized, responsive care plans, able to be adapted and updated over time
Companions for Seniors Can Help
Do you have an aging loved one who could benefit from the companionship and support of a trained professional caregiver?
Locally owned and operated in Chicago, Illinois, with clients in the city and suburbs, Companions for Seniors is a home care company like no other.
We offer a variety of services designed to help our clients remain in the comfort of their own homes, while ensuring that their needs are met. Our trained and bonded Companions are available on a full- or part-time basis, and can offer driving services in the comfort of a company car.
Our services are flexible, convenient, and it’s easy to get started. Companions for Seniors provides a free in-home assessment of your senior family’s current situation, and in most cases we can be up and running in just a few days. We understand that every situation is unique, so we provide a personalized care plan that’s modified to meet each client’s specific needs. As a client’s situation changes, so does our plan of care.
Have any more questions about all things home care? Ready to get help for your loved one? Don’t hesitate to get in touch online today to get the conversation started, or give us a call at 866-910-9020.