Laundry is one of those chores that just has to get done. Whether you do a load every day or once every few weeks, doing laundry is an important ritual that makes sure you are able to look and feel your best.
Broadly speaking, laundry is categorized as an “activity of daily living,” or ADL. ADLs are those routine and instrumental tasks we all must take on in order to remain independent, safe, and stable at home. Like other ADLs, doing laundry can become more difficult to manage as we grow older.
A fear of falling may keep older adults from taking the stairs down into the basement laundry room. Arthritis, chronic pain, and other physical conditions can make it harder to wash and fold with gusto. Dementia and memory loss can cause many seniors to forget this important chore. For others, the effects of loneliness and isolation can make it difficult to get the motivation they need to do a load of laundry — especially when they’re used to doing this chore for a household full of people.
Laundry Help for Seniors
Love it or hate it, laundry is one of those little things that can have a big impact on your health, happiness, and quality of life. That’s why we’re here to help!
At Companions for Seniors, one of the services that we offer to our elderly clients is regular laundry assistance. We know how important those seemingly little things are to your overall well-being — mentally, emotionally, and physically.
As part of a customized senior care plan, we are happy to provide regular assistance with sorting, washing, drying, folding, and putting away the client’s laundry, including:
- Garments and undergarments
- Sheets, blankets, and bed linens
- Towels, napkins, placemats, and other kitchen linens
Why Is Laundry So Important?
Having clean towels, linens, and clothing is a key part of living life to the fullest. Wearing fresh, clean clothes makes you look good and feel good. It’s a simple way for people of all ages and walks of life to put their best foot forward and make positive, healthy choices.
- Laundry assistance can help keep seniors safe. Falls are among the most serious and common health hazards facing the elderly, and doing laundry can certainly put older adults at risk — particularly for anyone who needs to carry an overflowing basket or navigate up and down dark basement steps. Having someone take on this routine chore can help keep seniors safe, and give their loved ones back some important peace of mind.
- Clean laundry can help you stay healthy. We are what we wear! Over time, dirty or unwashed clothing and linens can cause skin irritation, rashes, and infections; inflame your allergies; and even cause you to get sick.
- There is a close connection between laundry and mental health. If your senior loved one is avoiding laundry or starting to look unkempt, this could be a sign that they are struggling with an underlying mental health challenge, such as depression, anxiety, or social isolation. On the flip side? Getting back into the laundry routine can have positive mental health benefits. In fact, studies suggest that people who adopt simple, healthy housekeeping habits often experience less stress and higher levels of personal satisfaction.
- Tackling laundry is a helpful way to get organized. Studies have shown that getting organized can help people of all ages improve their overall health and well-being, including making healthier choices. For seniors, tackling those piles of dirty laundry or overflowing dresser drawers can be a great place to get started.
Looking to Connect Your Senior Loved One With High Quality Care? We Are Here for You
At Companions for Seniors, our mission is to help seniors live independently and with dignity in the comfort of their own homes — while providing respite and comfort to all of the busy family caregivers who could use some support of their own.
In addition to laundry, we are happy to help provide assistance with other ADLs that can enrich a senior’s quality of life and encourage them to live a more active and independent lifestyle, including:
Our companions are truly passionate about being there for the elderly. We believe that support and friendship can help empower seniors to live life to the fullest, without having to uproot and move into expensive, institutional care.
All of our companions are trained and insured, and can help work with your family one-on-one to develop a personalized care plan specifically tailored for your loved one’s needs — and your own hopes and goals as a family caregiver. At every step of the way, we know the importance of fostering an open dialogue and sharing ideas; always going the extra mile with our services; and providing flexible care at the right price for every household.
We are locally owned in the Chicago area, with services available in the city and suburbs. Have any more questions? Ready to learn more? Don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-910-9020 or reach out online to keep the conversation going today!