Growing older definitely comes with perks — including wisdom, experience, and the ability to slow down and enjoy life on your terms. To help make your golden years even greater, Chicago seniors can take advantage of impressive discounts and deals on everything from movie tickets, to meals, to museums.
Many local and national businesses offer special savings to adults of a certain age; some actually start offering benefits and price reductions to people as young as 55! These discounts are a great way to enjoy the freedom and flexibility that come with aging in place, while making the most of your budget.
And while there are many senior-friendly discounts and special deals out there, we know it’s not always easy to find them on your own. It often takes some time and research to find the best options for older adults. Some special offers may vary from location to location; in other events, you may need to show an ID or call ahead to take advantage of a deal.
Looking to start your search? Here’s a quick list of some senior discounts and deals worth exploring in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs — and some helpful resources for finding even more opportunities near you!
Popular Senior Discounts to Know In Chicago:
We’ve often said that the Chicago area is a great place to grow older. Here are some important discounts and deals for Chicagoland seniors and family caregivers to look into:
- Reduced-price transit. The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) offers a reduced fair pass for seniors, Medicare recipients and people with disabilities, which can allow older adults to cruise around on Pace, Metra, and CTA at a steep discount. Illinois residents currently enrolled in the Illinois Department on Aging’s Benefit Access Program may even be eligible for free transit on fixed routes.
- Museums and cultural institutions. Many of Chicagoland’s best museums offer reduced price admission for seniors, including (but certainly not limited to), the Art Institute of Chicago, the Loyola University Museum of Art, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Chicago History Museum, the DuSable Museum of African American History, and the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. For more, check out this guide from seniorcitizendiscountlist.org.
- Movie tickets. Many Chicagoland chains offer senior ticket prices. Around the region, check in with your local theater to see what their current discount offer is. Local chains such as Classic Cinemas and national organizations like Regal Cinemas, AMC Theatres, and Cinemark all have senior-friendly pricing.
- Shopping and retail. Many popular stores offer senior discounts and special shopping days. The Senior List has a full overview of stores offering senior prices; some of the highlights include Banana Republic, Clarks, Dressbarn, Kohl’s, Michael’s, Ross, and Goodwill stores.
- Restaurants. Many different types of restaurants offer senior-friendly pricing and offers — ranging from fully discounted senior menus to free drinks. The Senior List has a comprehensive guide to eating out on a budget; some of the top senior-friendly offers come from great chains such as Ben & Jerry’s, Boston Market, Chick-fil-A, Dairy Queen, Golden Corral, Denny’s, and IHOP.
- Travel and lodging. Want to head out on a day trip or fly around the country? Many travel brands offer significant savings for seniors, including Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, Amtrak, and Greyhound. Money Talks News also offers a list of hotel chains offering discounts for seniors.
- Gym memberships. Participants in the SilverSneakers program can access discounted gym memberships and classes at facilities here in Chicago and all around the country. You can find a participating gym or fitness center near you at the SilverSneakers site, here.
Resources for Finding Senior-Friendly Deals and Discounts:
Senior deals and discounts are changing all the time, and it can be hard to know exactly who’s offering what. To keep up your search for senior-friendly opportunities, be sure to check out these handy online resources:
- The Senior List. The Senior List is a popular destination for finding senior discounts and specialized services. It also publishes a handy coupon book each year, which you can learn more about here.
- The AARP. Membership in the AARP gets you a card that unlocks special discounts at many businesses here in Chicago and around the country. The AARP also offers plenty of helpful guides and resources that older adults and their families can use to find deals and savings, such as this guide to “Amazing Dining Deals” for older adults.
- SeniorDiscounts.com. This site offers an enormous directory of local senior discounts, featuring more than 250,000 listings.
- SeniorDiscounter.com. This site offers useful search features, so you can find participating businesses based on location, pricing, age requirements, and more.
- U.S. News & World Report. Well known for its rankings of diets, financial institutions, and long-term care options, U.S. News is also a great repository for financial information for seniors and caregivers. Check out this guide to “How to Get Senior Citizen Discounts,” or this fun slideshow featuring ”10 Great Senior Discounts” to try in retirement.
Want to Learn More About In-Home Senior Care in Chicago? Companions for Seniors Is Here to Help
Looking for more resources and opportunities for an older loved one aging in place? Do you have a senior loved one who could benefit from some extra help around the house – or even just a little bit of company and companionship? Our experienced, professional companions would love to step in and help!
At Companions for Seniors, our mission is to help seniors live independently and with dignity in the safety of their own home. We’re locally owned and operated in the Chicago area, with clients in the city and suburbs.
Our companions are trained and bonded, and can help provide a variety of services designed to help your loved one remain in the comfort of their own home, while ensuring that their needs are met. Companions are available on a full- or part-time basis, and can offer driving services in the comfort of a company car.
Our services are flexible, convenient, and it’s easy to get started. Companions for Seniors provides a free in-home assessment of your senior family’s current situation, and in most cases we can be up and running in just two days. We understand that every situation is unique, so we provide a personalized care plan that’s modified to meet each client’s specific needs. As a client’s situation changes, so does our plan of care.
Have any more questions about all things Chicago home care? Don’t hesitate to reach out online today to get the conversation started, or give us a call at 866-910-9020.