At Companions for Seniors, our mission is to help Chicagoland’s elderly maintain a higher quality of life from the comfort and safety of their own homes. One of the great advantages of aging in place is the freedom, flexibility, and safety it offers to seniors. But to make a loved one’s stay at home as comfortable and accessible as possible, it may be necessary to make a few swaps around the space — and that includes the furniture!
Making sure that seniors live in a safe and accommodating environment can help reduce the risk of falls, and make aging in place feel even more fulfilling. Here are some of our room-by-room guides to making home a safer place for seniors:
Looking to upgrade the furniture in your aging family member’s home? Ready to invest in some fun and functional mats, curtains, or lighting? It helps to know where to start your search.
The Chicago Area’s Best Furniture Stores
Here are some of the best furniture and home stores around the Chicago area for caregivers and seniors to explore:
Nadeau – Furniture With a Soul
- 4433 N Ravenswood Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60640
- Founded in California in 1991, this family-owned business has outposts all around the country. Its Chicago showroom boasts an ever-changing array of unique imports.
- 4835 N Damen Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60625
- Originally started by a hobbyist who restored classic furniture for fun, District has gained a major following thanks to its affordable mid-century furnishings.
- 33 W Armitage Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60614
- Stylish, modern, and comfortable, you’ll find a wide selection of furnishings through this Lincoln Park location. Use the Interior Define app to easily visualize how pieces will fit in your home.
- 1885 N Clybourn Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60614
- Plants, home accessories, furnishings, lighting, and more in totally unique digs.
Room & Board
- 10071 Skokie Blvd.
- Skokie, IL 60077
- You’ll find a few Room & Board locations throughout Chicagoland; we’re partial to the Skokie outpost. This retailer sells thoughtfully made furniture in a huge assortment of finishes and styles.
Milwaukee Furniture of Chicago
- 1341 N Milwaukee Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60622
- A huge selection of high-quality furniture at discount prices, from dining sets to bedroom accessories.
- 2455 N Sheffield Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60614
- This family-owned furniture store has been selling beautifully designed furniture in Chicago since 1960.
Cole’s Appliance and Furniture
- 4026 N Lincoln Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60618
- This family-owned business has been selling modern furniture and trustworthy home appliances for more than 70 years. Look for the old school vintage sign in front of the showroom!
- 239 S Washington St.
- Naperville, IL 60540
- A Naperville stalwart, this family business has been selling affordable furniture since the 1800s.
New Age Chicago Furniture
- 238 S Cottage Grove Ave.
- Chicago, IL 60653
- This Bronzeville community staple has been offering comfortable home furnishings for more than a century.
About Companions for Seniors
Ready to talk over more ideas for making your elderly loved one’s home safer and more accommodating? Curious about what it takes to get started with in-home care? We are always here and ready to keep the conversation going!
At Companions for Seniors, our mission is to help seniors live independently and with dignity at home by empowering them to lead an active and enriched lifestyle, connecting them with their community, and nurturing meaningful relationships.
Our companions are trained and bonded, and can help provide a variety of services designed to help seniors age in place comfortably and safely, without having to uproot their lives and move into expensive and restrictive institutionalized care facilities. We are proud to be locally owned in Chicago, with services available in the city and suburbs. Give us a call at 866-910-9020, or get in touch online using our contact form to get started today!