Where can you turn when you want to provide your elderly loved one with a warm, tasty meal — but don’t have the time or energy to cook? Online food delivery services can be a wonderful option for seniors and busy caregivers in Chicago.
Ordering in can help provide leftovers that last for days, helping older adults avoid hunger and malnutrition. Ordering in is also a great way to help homebound seniors stay connected to their community, helping them enjoy their favorite dishes from beloved local restaurants in the comfort and safety of home.
Meal delivery has become even more important during the COVID pandemic. It is a great way for remote caregivers to make sure that their loved ones have safe access to delicious and satisfying meals, when they can’t be there in person.
Chicago Food Delivery for Seniors and Caregivers
Interested in getting started? Here are some of the best online food delivery apps and services for seniors and caregivers to know in Chicago:
- GrubHub. Based right here in Chicago, GrubHub offers a convenient way to order from thousands of local restaurants.
- Postmates. This online service lets you order food, drinks, and groceries to your front door.
- Uber Eats. This service offers fast delivery from tons of local restaurants.
- DoorDash. Easy ordering from an ever-growing list of restaurants, bars, and cafes.
- Caviar. Takeout and delivery from more upscale restaurants.
- Goldbelly. Gourmet food and gifts from all over the country.
- Tock. Local takeout and delivery from some of Chicago’s trendiest restaurants.
- Instacart. With Instacart, you can order all the groceries you need, delivered straight to your front door in as little as an hour.
- Shipt. This online service lets you order in everything from groceries to household essentials.
- Mercato. This grocery service helps you order same-day delivery from specialty stores and markets in the Windy City.
- goPuff. Provides delivery of daily essentials like snacks and toilet paper.
- Hello Fresh. This meal kit delivery service delivers portioned out ingredients that you can use to cook healthy, appealing meals in about 30 minutes.
- Blue Apron. Fresh, pre-portioned ingredients and recipes, delivered right to your door.
- Imperfect Foods. Get “ugly” produce delivered on a regular schedule, at a steep discount.
- Butcher Box. A subscription service that sends high-quality meats to your home.
Many local restaurants and stores also offer their own in-house delivery. To find out if a restaurant near you has their own delivery service, search through Chicago’s listings on Dining at a Distance.
To make the most of your order, consider signing up for an account with the service so it’s easy to log in again and again. If you have a favorite or go-to in your neighborhood, print out the menu and keep it on hand. Opt for contactless delivery to keep things as safe as possible during COVID-19.
We’re Here for You
Have any more questions about how you can help your elderly loved ones to stay safe, healthy, and active? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with Companions for Seniors whenever you want to discuss the best plan of action for yourself and the senior in your life. We’re always here and ready to help.
At Companions for Seniors, our mission is to help seniors live independently and with dignity in the comfort of their own home by empowering them to lead an active and enriched lifestyle, connecting them with their community, and nurturing meaningful relationships.
Our companions are trained and bonded, and can help provide a variety of services designed to help seniors remain in the comfort of their own homes, including providing assistance with housekeeping, activities of daily living (ADLs), driving services, and more. Our services are flexible, convenient, and it’s easy to get started; in most cases we can be up and running in just two days.
We are proud to be locally owned in Chicago, with services available in the city and surrounding suburbs. Get in touch online using our handy contact form, or give us a call at 866-910-9020 to get started today.