Valentine’s Day is an opportunity to show your love to the people who matter most! Here in Chicagoland, this holiday is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the older adults in your life — by giving gifts, sending a card, or spending some quality time together.
How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day With the Elderly
Because the coronavirus is still spreading, your traditional Valentine’s Day plans may not be doable this year.
Fortunately, there are all sorts of ways to celebrate this special holiday with the seniors in your life from the comfort and safety of home! Here are 14 ideas for a safe, healthy, and fun Valentine’s Day with the elderly:
- Write poetry. Gather up some pens and paper and write haikus, sonnets, and other poetry as a family. You could even send your poems in a letter or as part of a Valentine’s care package!
- Listen to famous love songs. Nobody sets a Valentine’s mood like Ol’ Blue Eyes! Help your loved one celebrate the season with their favorite romantic music. Bonus points if you can bring vinyl records! We explore the benefits of music for seniors in depth right here.
- Have a movie night. What classic film does your family love? Put on a family favorite and enjoy together. For inspiration, visit this list of the most romantic movies of all time.
- Work on a fun art project. There are lots of fun Valentine’s Day crafts to enjoy together, from making paper hearts to creating a colorful scrapbook. Find some fun Valentine’s craft ideas here, courtesy of Country Living.
- Order in dinner from a favorite restaurant. You may not be able to go out for a meal, but you can still enjoy a decadent feast at home! Try ordering pick-up or delivery from one of Chicago’s most Valentine’s-friendly restaurants.
- Dance the night away. Dancing is one of the healthiest activities there is! Enjoy a night in by turning up the music and having a little dance party. Learn more about the health benefits of dancing for seniors.
- Make care packages. Spread the love by making and delivering a thoughtful care package full of Valentine’s goodness.
- Connect with long-distance family over Zoom. Help your loved one get connected, then schedule a video call with loved ones from all over the world. Click here for our tips for helping the senior in your life stay connected remotely.
- Send cards and letters. Let people know you’re thinking of them by handwriting a note or picking out the perfect Valentine’s Day card. You can also find fun virtual ecards at hallmarkecards.com/.
- Bake up a healthy(ish) dessert. Brownies, cookies, frozen yogurt, chocolate-covered fruit – whip up whatever appeals to your loved one’s sweet tooth! Click here for our favorite healthy snacks.
- Break out your favorite game. Celebrate the holiday with a fun game night. Check out our list of wonderful games to play with the elderly by clicking here.
- Decorate with flowers. Bring over roses and other flowers and have a night of flower arranging! Make wreaths, or have a contest to see who can build the prettiest bouquet.
- Take a winter day trip. A fun afternoon in the park or at a local getaway can be a great way to make this day special. Click here for fun day trips in Illinois perfect for seniors and caregivers.
- Talk about Valentine’s memories together. Go through old scrapbooks, watch home movies, or just talk about what this holiday means to your family. You’re sure to get some fun stories you might not have heard before! You’ll find some fun conversation starters with the elderly here.
Caring for an Elderly Family Member in the Chicago Area? We’re Here for You
At Companions for Seniors, our mission is to help seniors live independently and with dignity in the comfort of their own homes by empowering them to lead an active and enriched lifestyle, connecting them with their community, and nurturing meaningful relationships.
While helping seniors maintain a higher quality of life, we also hope to provide greater peace of mind for family caregivers who may need some relief. All of our companions are trained and bonded, and can assist your loved one in many different ways, including providing assistance with activities of daily living, meal preparation, housekeeping, transportation, and more.
From one hour to 24 hours a day, we can be there for you and your loved one. We understand that every situation is unique, so we provide a personalized care plan that’s modified to meet each client’s specific needs. As a client’s needs change, so does our plan of care. In most cases, we can assess your loved one’s needs and start a care plan within just two days. We are proudly locally owned in Chicago, with service available in the city and suburbs.
Have any questions? Want to get in touch? Don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-910-9020, or fill out our online contact form to get started.